Ludwig van Food often regales me with tales of his 5 trips to the famous Münchener (Munich) Oktoberfest. These tales sound outlandish to your humble copyist, like whole oxen rotisseried on a spit , Frau v. Food dancing on tables to win a prize, liberating 7 Bierkrüge (1-liter beer mugs) from their beer tents, and a tent labeled Bierleiche, translated literally as beer corpses, reserved for people who drank more than their thirst required.
The Munich Oktoberfest began in 1810 as an engagement party for a couple of royals, and featured a huge horse race. It has evolved into the world’s largest folks festival.
Oktoberfest is rightly known for the delicious beer, but tales Maestro tells of the food makes me wish for some time off to go there. Rotisserie ox, chicken, and pork (his favorite), salted radishes, the best fries he’s ever had, chocolate-covered fruits, and strudels all make my mouth water. Please, please petition Herr v. Food to let me go!
Equipment and Supplies
- smoker but can be made in the oven
- 3 pound rolled pork roast
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup brown mustard, sweet Bavarian-style
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- Cut through the fat cap every inch or so in a diamond pattern. Sprinkle half of the salt on the fat cap, use the remaining salt on the rest of the pork. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.3 pound rolled pork roast, 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat the smoker to 225°
- Combine all ingredients except pork and mix well. Slather the pork all over with half of the wet mix.½ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup brown mustard, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 3 teaspoons paprika, 2 teaspoons ground marjoram, ½ teaspoon ground sage
- Place seasoned pork in the grill, fat cap up. Smoke for 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees, basting occasionally with the wet mix. Serve with dark beer sauce, boiled potatoes with butter and parsley or french fries.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.