Do you need an alternative to those packaged filled-pastries with all their corn syrup, artificial flavors,
preservatives and artificial colors? These rollups are almost as quick as opening one of those boxed atrocities and throwing them in the toaster, and bonus, you know exactly what’s in these.
Let your imagination run wild and substitute the hazelnut spread with, well, anything. Cinnamon sugar? A natural. Bacon bits? Beautiful. Melty cheese? Of course. Fig jam, fruit preserves, lemon curd, pastrami… well maybe not pastrami. You get the idea.
Equipment and Supplies
- 1 baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 cup hazelnut – cocoa spread, e.g. Nutella
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour a work surface and lay a pastry sheet on it with the short side toward you.1 sheet puff pastry dough
- Spread hazelnut-cocoa mixture on the pastry sheet up to ¾ of its height. Sprinkle the hazelnuts along the width of the pastry.1 cup hazelnut – cocoa spread, ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Roll the pastry sheet from bottom to top. Brush lightly with egg white. Slice the roll into 8 sections and arrange the sections flat on the parchment paper.1 egg white
- Bake for 15 minutes and cool.